Monday, July 21, 2014

Have a Break, Have a "Fika"

In order to gain acceptance into the Swedish culture again there is something I need to do. No, it’s not to get my Swedish in order although I do need to brush up on my writing skills and proper usage of grammar. And no, it’s not to get with the fashion although Swedish people are immensely fashionable and I am clearly dancing along to my one tune when it comes to that. No, I need to get the art of "fika" down again.

"Fika" at home
I know I have readers (yay!) in Italy and I have friends that are Italian or know Italian. The word "fika", well spelled differently, is not a sophisticated word in Italian, let’s just put it that way. Here is a definition, of the Swedish word "fika", from a very...hm...trusted source, Wikipedia: "Fika" is both a Swedish verb and noun (pronounced "fee-ka") that basically implies "drinking coffee”, usually accompanied by something sweet. It’s more than a coffee break. It’s a tradition and habit you cannot break.”

Because  to ”fika” is not just having a coffee. I find it as a break in otherwise a fairly structured and fast paced environment, kind of like a mini siesta or sitting down and smoking hookah (shisha). In Sweden, we don’t have siesta or the culture of smoking hookah on a regular basis. I am not saying Sweden has the monopoly of taking breaks or enjoying coffee. This is just our version of break time.

Swedes, in general, LOVE coffee. Like LOVE coffee. The country is constantly in the top ten or top five countries of the world in terms of annual consumption. I would say the typical Swede drinks his or her coffee black with no fu fu stuff  added (such as milk, sugar or flavored syrup). And thank goodness Swedish people like to work out, hike and walk/bike everywhere in their everyday lives. Otherwise they…we…would gain a lot of weight from all the little goodies we consume during “fika” time. Because when you ”fika” you don’t just have coffee, you eat a little sweet treat too. If you are having a ”fika” at a café with friends it can be quite elaborate treats. As seen in one of the pictures along with this blog post. But if you ”fika” at home I would say it could be just a small cinnamon roll. 

Surprised of this blog post as it's including something so unhealthy as sugary treats? Yeah I know, I am such a rebel. I do generally encourage healthy eating and I am passionate about the topic of wellness. But truly enjoying life is important too. Mental wellness is vital and taking breaks is part of good mental hygiene. If you are going to eat something unhealthy, enjoy the treat and enjoy being in the company of (hopefully) someone you care about.

If you come over to someone’s house in Sweden, they will ask if you want a ”fika." You may also be invited over to someone’s house just for a ”fika." It’s easier to invite people over for a ”fika” as it’s less of a commitment than a dinner, no need to cook a whole meal. You will get brownie (!) points if you have baked the little treat yourself, but it’s also socially acceptable to buy it from the store.

Most Swedish offices and companies take a “fika” break during work hours. My father’s work tried to make the “fika” healthier and had fresh fruit everyday available instead of the little sweet treat. Such a wonderful idea, but not all places offer that.

"Fika" at a café
If you shop and need a break to think over your various options, you go for a ”fika." It’s also pretty good to just have a “fika” when you are a poor High School student out shopping. You may wanna save your money to buy that pretty glittery top for the clubbing extravaganza on Saturday night and don’t want to buy a whole lunch. A “fika” is a good way to get a break and something (although sweet and unhealthy) in your system.

Cities and even small towns, like my town of Laholm, have plenty of coffee shops, it’s totally unreal. That’s how ingrained the “fika” culture is in Sweden.

When I was little, hearing we were just going to ”fika” first (before doing anything else) annoyed me a lot. I was never into sweets (still to this day it's not my vice), real food was my thing if I was going to take the time to consume anything. Later in life, I found it fascinating to observe the adults during “fika.” I know my mom and dad were rather happy when I started drinking coffee after spending some time in Italy as an 18 year old. Because it’s a social thing to have a “fika." Without coffee “fika” is just “fika light.”

In a world that is moving faster and faster, breaks are important. Smell the roses or in this case, smell the coffee, see the steam from the milk froth (if you are inclined to make your coffee a bit fu fu)…Do not rush and gulp down a half ass kind of coffee while running somewhere else. Face to face meetings are important. To take an interest in how another human being's day has been.  But I bet we can rig up a camera and ”fika” over Skype too. Just make sure you have time to bake a cinnamon roll or visit your local bakery beforehand. I will check if you “fika” correctly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment